Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (Book Review)

Book: Hush, Hush

Author: Becca Fitzpatrick

Pages: 391

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Published: October 13, 2009

Obtained: Purchased from BAM

Started: July 4, 2013 (reread)

Finished: July 11, 2013


Summary (Courtesy of Goodreads):
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6339664-hush-hush

Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.



Cover: I've always thought this cover was gorgeous. It's what first attracted me to the book way back in 2009 while I was strolling the aisles of Books-A-Million. I remember being perplexed about the idea of reading about angels (fallen angel were a NEW thing in 2009) and this is the first angel book I had ever read (Excluding, well you know, parts of the Bible. But that doesn't count.) The moment I saw it, I knew I had to have it.

Plot: I LOVED the plot. I found it amusing, intriguing, and captivating even though it was predictable. I may, we ALREADY know he's a fallen angel. It is dramatic irony because she has no clue, and at times, it's frustrating. I just want to grab Nora by the shoulders and shake some sense into her. At least that's how I felt at the beginning. But who am I to hold  a grudge against her? At least she figured it out without him having to tell her. 

The book wasn't slow paced and kept me wanting to read more. Especially to get to know Patch. This is probably the 4th time I have read this book. It seems like every time I read it, the more I fall in love with it. 

Characters: I'll be discussing the four of the characters.

Nora - I love her as a main character. She does find her ways of getting into trouble, but most of that really can't be blamed on her. Trouble would find her even if she wasn't looking. She's a goodie goodie and at times, this annoys the hell out of me. Mostly because Nora and I are a lot a like. I'm a geek who stays in Friday/ Saturday nights and does homework. I don't like to get in to trouble, and trouble can be tempting. I think of this level, I understand Nora and her actions. 

Nora doesn't have it easy. Her mom is away 65% of the time, and her father was murdered in cold blood. Vee is pretty much the only person she has in the world. I love their friendship so much. But there's still something missing from her life. And Patch seems to feel like void. I ship their relationship. 

Patch - HESSOHOTIMDYING. But seriously, I do love his character. He's strong, courageous, and doesn't take bull from anyone. He's also amusing, mysterious, and caring. Is he perfect? Eh. Close enough. I love figuring out Patch's story piece by piece. Fitzpatrick has a beautiful way with writing. As Nora falls in love with Patch, the reader also does. You feel every emotion Nora feels and by the end of the book, you're 100% sure you're meant to be with Patch. Don't believe me? Read the book. Still don't believe me? That's fine; I claim him. ;)

Vee - I love Vee in this book. She's so funny and entertaining. She's a major comic relief in the book. She's incredibly loyal and will do anything for Nora. 

Marcie - She's incredibly bitchy malevolent and I would LOVE to slap her across the face. With a chair.

Series: This is the first book in a saga.

The second book is Crescendo published on October 19, 2010.
Link to my review: http://vivaciousfiction.blogspot.com/2013/07/crescendo-by-becca-fitzpatrick-book.html

The third book is Silence published on October 4, 2011
Link for my review: http://vivaciousfiction.blogspot.com/2013/07/silence-by-becca-fitzpatrick-book-review.html

The final book is Finale published on October 23, 2012
Link for my review: http://vivaciousfiction.blogspot.com/2013/07/finale-by-becca-fitzpatrick-book-review.html

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Next Review: Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

Happy Reading!

VF, xoxo.


No comments:

Post a Comment